After the Second World War, Bottisham welcomed another friendly invasion when the buildings of RAF Bottisham were taken over by the National Coal Board. Then from 1948 the buildings were used to train European Volunteer Workers. These men, mainly from the Ukraine, Poland and Latvia were displaced by the Second World War. They came to Britain to train as coal miners and hundreds of them began their basic training by learning English right in Bottisham. Coal magazine of May 1948 gives us a rare insight into this forgotten piece of our area’s heritage.